Assistant Professor of Dance
Dance/Fine & Performing Arts Division/Santa Ana College
Tenure Track Position
Salary RSCCD has one of the highest faculty salary schedules among California’s 72 community college districts. New faculty may be placed as high as step 11 on the salary schedule based upon verified teaching/work experience. The starting salary may range from $54,010.08 to $91,348.99/year for the 10-month academic year, depending upon education and experience. Additional compensation is provided for work beyond the basic teaching contract.
Benefits The district will contribute up to $25,821.72 per year toward the medical/dental insurance expense for the employee and any eligible dependents, plus $1,250 per year for additional fringe benefit expenses, life insurance coverage of $50,000 or the employee’s annual salary, whichever is greater and ten days of sick leave per year. Membership in the California State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Starting Date: 2015 Fall Semester
Deadline to Apply: Wednesday, February 25, 2015, 5:00 pm
Responsibilities • Teach in three or more of the following: all levels of technique in contemporary modern, ballet and/or jazz, general education courses, production, repertory
• Choreograph for department productions
• Production direction for main-stage concerts and Dance Touring Ensemble
• Management of SAC Dance Department participation in American College Dance Festival
• Recruit dance students for the SAC Dance Department by establishing relationships with local dance teachers, appropriate community organizations and four year college/universities
• Work within the Dance Department in coordinating classes, developing new courses and certificates, supporting program development, and carrying out department goals and objectives
• Assume department, division and college committee responsibilities as required
Requirements Minimum Qualifications (Applicants must meet one of the following):
• Possess from an accredited institution: A master's degree in dance, physical education with a dance emphasis, or theater with dance emphasis, OR bachelor's degree in any for the above AND master's degree in physical education, any life science, physiology, theater arts, kinesiology, humanities, performing arts, or music, OR
• Possess a valid California Community College credential authorizing service in the discipline, OR
• The equivalent (applicants who do not meet the above minimum qualifications must complete the Equivalencies Section in the
application form and provide conclusive evidence of such).
Desirable Qualifications • A minimum of three years college level teaching experience
• Demonstrated excellence in teaching all levels of contemporary modern, ballet, • Familiarity with somatic, holistic approaches to dance training (e.g. Franklin Method, Alexander Technique, Bartenieff, Pilates)
• Current choreographic experience and demonstrated excellence in choreography
• Production and performance experience
• Community Outreach experience
• Experience in teaching general education classes such as Dance History or World Dance and Cultures
• Experience in teaching students from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and widely varying levels of proficiency
• Ability to prioritize tasks, establish and meet deadlines and work cooperatively with others
• A working knowledge and experience with student learning outcomes and assessment
Note: Applicants selected for interview will be required to demonstrate their teaching technique in a modified class situation. A link to internet site or digital form of choreographic work is also required.
In addition to the requirements and responsibilities listed, the following criteria will be considered in selecting candidates for interviews:
• Educational experience - breadth and depth
• Work experience - breadth and depth
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities
• Curriculum development
• Program development
• Community involvement
• Demonstrated experience in working with a diverse socioeconomic community
• Credentials or minimum qualifications authorizing service in other areas of need
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
• Bilingual ability (if needed)
Based upon the information presented on the application materials, a limited number of candidates with qualifications most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process, which may include a written test and oral interview.
Interview Applicants selected for an interview may be required to take additional tests or assessments and will be notified of such prior to the date of the interview. During the oral session, those selected for interviews, in addition to the above, may be evaluated on the following factors:
• Oral communication skills
• Problem solving skills
• Successful teaching, problem solving or performance demonstration
• Writing skills/demonstration
Applicants are requested to provide thorough yet concise information on their related experience to ensure correct evaluation of their qualifications. A predetermined set of questions will be asked during all interviews. Evaluation criteria will be applied consistently to all applicants.
Method of Application For consideration in the selection process, interested persons must complete the online district academic application by the specified closing date for the position at www.rsccd.edu. All materials must be submitted online. A computer which can only access RSCCD employment website and scanner to upload materials/documents (no USB) are available at the Human Resources Department, 2323 North Broadway, Santa Ana, California, 92706, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
Please upload the following application materials in the appropriate boxes with your online application by the closing date:
• Resume in Word format (Required)
• Unofficial transcripts, showing that the minimum qualifications are met (Required)
• Any additional supplemental materials (Optional)
Travel reimbursement is available to those meeting the established district criteria.
Pre-Employment Requirements Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide current verification of a negative TB test or chest x-ray, complete the district's fingerprinting process, and bring proof of their legal right to work in the United States. Cost of TB testing, fingerprinting and the fee for criminal record check will be paid for by the candidates.
The District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, Vietnam-era veteran status or sexual orientation.
The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact the Human Resources Office for assistance.
Post: Tuesday, January 6, 2015 - See more at: https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000866738-01#sthash.w9kBOWMA.dpuf