Media and Performing Arts Research Studentships, 2014.
The School of Media and Performing Arts, led by the Dean, Professor Carole-Anne Upton, has recently benefited from major investment in its research areas. We enjoy an exceptional group of Professorial and senior research staff in Media, Cultural Studies, Dance, Music and Theatre Arts and a strong research culture within which our PhD candidates are centrally positioned.
Performing Arts celebrated considerable success in RAE2008, and includes the internationally-renowned Centre for Research into Creation in the Performing Arts (www.rescen.net ). Research in Media focuses on Cultural Theory and Communication Studies, with particular interest in Gender and Sexualities.
Alongside traditional approaches to doctoral studies, we have particular expertise in practice-as-research. We offer two forms of practice-led research degrees, a “mixed-mode” PhD in which the integration of theory and creative practice is foregrounded, and a Doctorate of the Arts (80% expert arts practices), which is suitable for experienced practitioners.
We welcome innovative and interdisciplinary proposals from excellent candidates that reflect the research interests of Middlesex Media and Performing Arts staff. Applicants are advised to consult the School web pages and our staff profiles: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/aboutus/staffdirectory/index.aspx
Research areas of particular interest include:
· Cultural studies: gender and sexuality, film and philosophy, cultural theory
· Dance: choreography and improvisation, pedagogy, theatre dance histories and philosophies
· Language and writing: creative writing, language and linguistics
· Media industries: practice and analysis of policy and practice
· Music: musicology, composition, performance
· Theatre Arts: devising and dramaturgy, translation for performance, applied theatre and philosophical concerns
We look forward to receiving your proposals.
Any queries should in the first instance be directed to Prof Vida L Midgelow, Director of Research Degrees (School of Media and Performance): firstname.lastname@example.org